Preparation for painting

(Year Three, spring and summer)

Albin Vega prep for painting

The old holes for an old-fashioned Signet knotmeter and a portlight.

Albin Vega prep for painting

The old holes for a portlight (outboard) and a knotmeter. If the knotmeter worked (which it didn’t), I’d reinstall it, but maybe in a different location. I had a new compass to install, but the hole is smaller, and again, I wasn’t sure of the location. It’s easier just to patch the old holes with a plywood disk, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy, and then just start over.

Albin Vega prep for painting

The primer has been sanded transluscent.

Albin Vega prep for painting

The companionway hatch strengthened with battens in the slots and fiberglass cloth. The wood piece under the aft lip was rotten, so that also was replaced. In addition, I added a thin strip of plastic (Starboard) to each side runner because the old wooden strips were almost entirely worn down.

Albin Vega prep for painting

Old compass hole on the bridge deck.

Albin Vega prep for painting

Old engine and light control holes on the bridgedeck.

Albin Vega prep for painting

Surrounding the mast step. This area had a bit of wear and one of the previous owner's attempt at repair was rather clumsy. The 25-cent piece hole on the starboard side was probably for some kind of wire, because there was a hole drilled through there, but it was patched with only silicone sealant and plugged with a MACHINE screw.
Probably mainly because of this there was some moisture in the overhead, luckily most of which is cored with plastic foam, not rot-able wood. I cut a few 2" disks out of the inside of the overhead to facilitate drying over the summer, which it seemed to do nicely. I'm thinking of injecting the foam core with GitRot, just to be sure.

Pages